The HANDS Academy Model is for the population, where government school is not available or non functional in terms of infrastructure or availability of quality education. HANDS signs MoU with philanthropists/donors and District Government/ Education Department before intervening in schools and improves quality of education through training of teachers and School Management Committees. School starts with pre-primary class that focuses on Early Childhood Development. Infrastructure is ensured with provision of basic facilities like water, electricity, separate bathroom for girls & boys, furniture and safe play areas etc.
The objectives of this model are to:
- Provide and promote primary education for girls/ boys in underprivileged areas.
- Increase the access and improve the quality of teaching/learning in community based primary schools.
- Build the capacity and commitment of Parents towards their child’s education.
- Involve Parents Education Board (PEB) for the sustainability of schools.
Identification of area/village
- Identification and finalization of place for school (Minimum 3-4 rooms building).
- Sign MoU with concerned education department/Institution/Organization /owner of school.
- Baseline and screening of school
- Formation / Stren-gthening of SMC/ Parent Education Board/CBO.
- Account opening of PEB/CBO
- Infrastructure development of school building (Color & paint (etc) if needed)
- Hiring/recruitment of teachers
- Training of teachers and SMC/PEB/CBO members
- Provision of furniture, equipment, teaching & learning material
- Enrollment campaign.
- Screening of children for malnutrition and other health impairments.
- Conduction of on-job sessions for teachers.
- Arrangement of inter exchange exposure visits of SMC/PEB/CBO, teachers, head teachers and district Government / Education Department officials.
- Regular meetings with SMC/PEB/CBOs
- Monthly monitoring/supervision visits
- Bi- Annual & Annual assessment of students.
- Periodical reports
- Registration of school for up gradation from primary to Middle and Secondary level (if required).