This model of disaster management program is designed to train professionals to manage the victims of and effects of natural disasters and calamities.
The objectives of this model are to:
- Reduce the damage caused by natural hazards like earthquakes, floods, droughts and cyclones.
- Minimize the damage and trauma due to disaster.
- Manage early recovery from disaster.
- Trainings are conducted by HANDS’ trainers through showing short films and documentaries.
- The skills required at the time of any disaster are demonstrated by the resource persons with special emphasis on practical life-saving skills.
- Disaster management
- Basic concepts of hazards and vulnerabilities
- Earthquake: Understanding the hazard, causes, effects and do’s and don’ts of earthquake safety
- Landslides: Understanding the hazard, causes, effects and its precautionary measures
- Floods: Understanding the hazard, causes, effects and mitigating measures
- Structural safety
- Non-structural safety
- Village disaster management plan
- Evacuation planning and earthquake drill
- Search and rescue methods
- First aid skills
- Fire safety methods
- Psychosocial support skills